Abbreviations, Acronyms, Jargon and Terms of Art
I’ll try to collect all the unusual, non-standard-English phrases and suchlike here, for easy translation.
- BVM: bag-valve-mask. A device for introducing room air into the lungs of a nonbreathing person, by compressing a bag, pushing the air from that bag through a one way valve into the mouth (and therefore airway) of said person via a mask. Releasing the bag allows it to self inflate, and the patient to exhale, so you can repeat the whole process again. And again. And again…
- Carotid pulse/Artery. Large bore neck artery, main pathway for blood to travel to the brain from the heart. One on each side of the (kinda) front of the neck. High pressure. Lotsa blood flow.
- CLOVER: (from The Urban Dictionary): Clovers believe that they are always doing the right thing, and therefore everyone should wait on them, or are basically oblivious to others’ needs. Clovers generally believe that if someone does something that irritates them in some way that a law should be made to correct the problem – “There ought to be a law”. A Clover will always side with the police or the government no matter what egregious evil they have committed.
- “da corridor”: the district immediately south of Da University, a sort of wrong-side-of-the-tracks “entertainment” district. An environment rich in overdoses,alcoholism, prostitution and assorted pathology. Commonly, in the spring you would notice new, young, generally female faces among the inhabitants. Towards autumn, most of those faces were absent (Ghawd, I hope that they went home!), and the ones remaining were in no way as fresh, bright eyed, or as healthy looking as they had been around 5 months previously.
- DBCPD (Da Big City police Department)
- HEARN: Hospital Emergency Alert Radio Network, a VHF. radio channel employed for (surprisingly enough) alerting the hospital of pending arrival, particularly of a priority patient.
- Kel-Lite: heavy duty, police-style flashlights, useful for illumination, or as a bludgeon
- RFN: Right Fucking Now
- SBTHIDC/SBTCIDC: Second Best Trauma Hospital/Center In Da City.
- “Stat”, “Stat-like”, or “right Stat like”, all equate to “IMMEDIATELY!”
- TBTCIDC: The Best Trauma Center In Da City
- TINS: This is no Shit
- TIWFDASL: There I was, fighting disease and saving lives….
- TLHTTIC: The Little Hospital That Thought It Could
- “To”: (pronounced “toe”, like the digit) short for “ghetto”, as in “Life is tough in the ‘to”
- “Wheedle-Deedle”. The sounds made by an electronic siren. See Also, “Most weird Noises From An Electronic Siren Contest”.